Monday, June 25, 2012

Triple Digits

We have had triple digit temperatures in Denver for the past three days.  Thankfully it didn't get quite as hot where my horses are and we were able to enjoy a warm but pleasant trail ride with two barn friends on Saturday morning. Our three geldings get along great together, and although we got a later start than we intended, there was a little breeze and it didn't feel too bad. Our horses (particularly Coro) were peppy and we took a nice break in the shade halfway through. Coro was happy to be in the lead but I made him go in back part of the time, too, where he was forced to slow down his speed-walk. Our little group's one incident happened pretty immediately, after we took our second cut off the road. The trails are numerous so they can be confusing, and it's easy to get trapped in a non-ideal spot. Coro was wearing his Easy Boot Trails for only the second time - the first time he stumbled and fell in them so I've been nervous to try again, but his poor little toes are sensitive to rocks so I knew we had to give it another go. He did fine, even with a little trotting. Anyway, there were some pretty big step-downs over tree roots and rocks on a narrow path through the pines and Coro handled them like a pro. B. was a little nervous as Beau is an ex-eventer and thinks he needs to jump anything that looks remotely like an obstacle or ditch, but with some coaxing walked over the step-downs and we thought we were out of the woods, so to speak. Then we came to a place where the trail was eroded and cut in, Czar and Coro were in front and got through it okay, and in fact we didn't give it much thought at all until afterwards. Beau is much bigger and we heard a shout from behind us from B. as they went over. We turned around to see Beau scrambling as his hind end fell off the embankment, about 3 feet, and sank into soft sand up to his stifles, followed by his front end. His front feet were on solid ground, but he was still trapped in the gulley. B. stayed on and waited to see what Beau would do - he struggled for a moment, then stilled, trembling and breathing heavy. B. was in line with the trail so was able to just sort of step off, then went around in front of Beau to encourage him forward. He gave a mighty heave and freed himself, they got back on the trail and we looked him over. He was shaken but okay. Really scary! The rest of the ride went smoothly, and everyone enjoyed themselves. We went through the pasture with the Arabians, and while I don't love the idea of riding with loose horses, it's the only option now as all the main routes are fenced off. The horses were in the lower valley and didn't bother us. Coro didn't break a sweat until we were almost home, and was still so full of energy that we did zig-zag leg yields across the road as we neared the barn to keep him focused. Such a good boy. I'm so thankful that he is feeling better.  S. and I got the horses put away and cooled off in the ranch house before I headed back to town for a feed run and spent a while longer feeding carrots to Coro and Notchee. I find these days that once I'm at the barn, I don't want to leave.


  1. How scary! Glad there was a happy ending.
    How did the vetting go?

  2. Wow, I just found your blog, I love it. I will be reading.

  3. The incident was no small thing. I am glad that your friend was able to remain calm and that her horse could free himself.

    Coro is a beauty. We have several gaited horses at my farm: Icelandics, Mountain Horses, and a Tennessee Walker. I like that you train him for dressage.

    Thank you for joining my blog!

  4. It all happened and resolved so quickly that no one had a chance to get too upset. Thankfully Beau didn't panic and the other two horses stayed calm as well - we were in some close, narrow quarters.

    Although Coro is a registered Paso Fino, he does not gait - we do enjoy dressage together.